Preparing for COVID-19
This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation. KVSC will provide updated information as it becomes available.
KVSC continues to monitor information about COVID-19, a respiratory illness also known as “coronavirus.” There are no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 in our schools. KVSC works with local and state health organizations and authorities anytime there is a public safety or health concern that may affect students.
Please understand that we are not a public health agency. It is not our role to give the most up-to-date statistics. Please see Official Information below for links to local and state health organizations. We take direction from these agencies.
The purpose of this page is to provide information to educate our families on the considerations and preparations KVSC is taking in regards to COVID-19.
KVSC continues to:
- Take extra time to sanitize and disinfect high-traffic areas and surfaces more frequently;
- Encourage sick students and staff to stay home until symptoms have been gone for at least 24 hours;
- Communicate with local and state health agencies on latest updates regarding COVID-19;
- Monitor absenses in each building and throughout the district;
- Review and revise emergency operations plans.
Please practice and encourage general healthy habits, which include:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when sneezing or coughing, then disposing of tissue.
- Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Do not shake hands. Instead, wave or elbow bump.
- Monitor yourself for cold or flu symptoms.
If You Feel Sick:
- Stay home when experiencing any symptoms of illness;
- Do not go to school or to work until you have been fever-free for at least 72 hours without the use of fever reducing drugs like Tylenol or ibuprofen;
- Call your doctor if you have symptoms like coughing, shortness of breath, fever, sore throat.
Parents and guardians are encouraged to check information and resources from official organizations, including state and local health departments and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on a regular basis:
In the case of a confirmed case of COVID-19 in one of our schools, KVSC will follow recommendations of local and state health officials. This may include closing one or multiple schools. In the event of a school/district closure:
- eLearning may be implemented;
- Students who have been assigned a 1:1 device (grades 6-12) should take them home nightly. Devices should not be left at school.
- After-school program will not be held at closed school locations;
- KVSC will communicate any changes as soon as possible through normal media and social media outlets.
While we hope this does not become necessary, we encourage parents and guardians to be proactive in planning childcare arrangements.
Signs + Symptoms
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms of respiratory illness, such as cough or difficulty breathing, please follow these guidelines: CDC: Prevent the Spread of COVID-19